Doxa Rebar is Hiring
Rebar is hiring an Artist!
Rebar seeks an outstanding individual to join our growing team of professional artists and designers!
Rebar is a small and growing art and design studio located in San Francisco’s Mission District. Our projects occupy the intersection of art, design and ecology, but span many disciplines and often engage outside collaborators. Architecture, landscape and art practice are the core skillsets with which we approach the world. Though our image is often rightly associated with guerrilla tactics, we have developed a professional art and design studio that explores some of the most interesting projects in the contemporary urban landscape. Our clients include museums, public agencies, private companies, neighborhood groups, architects and developers and arts organizations.
Rebar’s ongoing art practice often involves a method of sampling and remixing, similar to the methods employed by DJs. Our artwork radically decontextualizes ordinary objects and materials as a strategy for exploring shared structures of cultural symbolism and to generate new forms of meaning. This conceptual approach has resulted in artworks rendered in a diverse variety of media, including earthworks, monumental steel sculpture and temporary performance installation.
Current Opening: Associate Artist (3-4 days/week contract position to start, with opportunity to become full-time employee)
To expand our art practice, we are seeking energetic and well-rounded applicants who have a passion for artmaking and exceptional spatial/visual communication skills to turn art concepts into masterfully constructed artworks. The right candidate operates in the sweet spot of professionalism, confidence, imagination and a sense of humor.
Skills and Qualifications
• MFA/MID/Master’s Degree in industrial design, sculpture, architecture or other material-based art practice
• 2+ years work experience in a professional art and/or design context
• Excellent ability to communicate and develop ideas through hand sketching
• Willingness to explore and expand Rebar’s conceptual approach to artmaking
• Fluency in 3D surface modeling program (Sketchup, Rhino) and solid modeling (Solidworks)
• Knowledge and ability to render (Maxwell, Vray, etc.) and compose professional presentations in Adobe CS
• Familiarity with current materials, products and finishes related to permanent artwork sited in public spaces
• Understanding of building and fabrication processes
• Understanding of standard design practices including professional communication, record keeping, etc.
• Knowledge of budgeting and project management procedures
• Experience managing others desirable but not required
3. How to Apply:
A) Download the PDF for the position here.
B) Submit all of the information requested in the PDF as directed
C) The position remains open until filled. No Phone calls please!